Sunday, November 9, 2014

Setting up for Deer Season!

Deer Season is upon us and approaching at such a fast rate that I'm almost not ready for it. We didn't start off as a "hunting" family. It's just been within the last few years that it has become part of the fall tradition. Next weekend I join many wives who become deer widowers for at least the first weekend if not the second weekend as well. I pray every year that he gets a deer the first hour or so that he's out there, the way he did his first season, and gets back home safe. He doesn't hunt for sport, he hunts for the meat. We eat deer, like deer and if he kills it, I prefer deer over ground chuck. It's definitely healthier for you. 

Mitch has a great friend who he's known for years. He invites him to go hunting on his land and it's a wonderful place. I've always known that I'm a country girl at heart, and this place just puts me into such a great frame of mind. It's so peaceful, and beautiful out in the woods. I hope that my daughters grow up to feel the same way about nature as I do.

So we made our trek about 45 minutes south of us to H and Greta's farm to set up the deer blind.

Their first real trek out into the woods!

First time I'd seen this deer blind.

I think this might become a family affair.

Even the wee one loved the big man. She doesn't go to just anyone.
She has her favorites and I think H stole part of her heart.
As the guys and the wee one decided to go check out the other deer stand the girls and I decided to hoof it up the hill to the other side. Soph doesn't seem like the "woodsy" type. Roo on the other hand was all about it. She loves it out in the woods; the wee one is trying to figure out if she likes it too. The jury is still out on her. 

She wasn't really too thrilled about the moss...0.o

My daughters have yet to learn to walk softly and keep their eyes open.
I happened to look over and see a turtle in the woods!!!

Roo, "MOM! Can we name him?!?!?!?!"

Needless to say they were excited by our find.

They decided to name him Forrest. We let Forrest back into his natural
habitat, but it was good for them to get to see him up close and personal.

We found a HUGE Badger hole too!

After we readied the forest for Mitch's great deer season of 2014, we decided to let the girls go play and run around in the field.


This sight will really scare me in about 10 years.

We ran around in the fields.

I took fun pictures...

We picked beggars purses off our jeans...
It's all part of the great experience of being in the woods. Since the first frost is already behind us we didn't have to worry about poison ivy, sumac or oak! The ticks even kept themselves at bay; for that I am grateful! Besides the turtle and the Badger Hole we didn't see much else.... just nature in it's most beautiful form!

The GREAT Oak Tree!

Biggest leaves I've seen in AGES!

This made my day! 
For all the hunters out there please be safe this deer season! Happy Hunting!



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Kev - I would have loved to join you running in the field. Soph may change yet, you were just like her at her age.

    ReplyDelete