Saturday, November 15, 2014

Project: Floating Key Rings


 I don't know about you all, but Christmas is a time for me to start really trying all the cool gift ideas that I've pinned earlier in the year. Some guys and gals are harder to shop for than others, and sometimes I see an idea, and just have to try it. 


This is what you'll need to start off your project.

So I went up to Ace Hardware just up the street from us and got some eye hooks and some key rings. The little anchors I picked up at a local bead store, and the stars I've had for ages. The corks, contrary to popular belief, are from one of my FAVORITE places to go in St. Louis! They did not come from the bottles that I finished off. The Upcycle Exchange, is a very cool place for crafters and creators of all ages. The Upcycle Exchange can jump start any great project that you might be wanting to start. If you are ever in St. Louis it's a great place to visit.

This glue is a lot like super glue, but takes longer to dry.
For starters I got everything opened and broke out my glue. I like using this Jewelry & Metal Glue, it acts a lot like Super Glue, but takes longer to dry It's an added plus when you are looking to take your time on something you've never tried before. You can pick this glue up at Michael's if you are so inclined. If you're fresh out of glue, 2-part Epoxy will do the trick too!

From here it's literally just piecing it all together.
You just start off by grabbing one of those key rings, and sliding an eye hook onto it. With my short nails I had a dickens of a time trying to get it open! My needle nosed pliers did the trick, if you don't have those you can always use a staple remover, it is the best thing I've ever found to open up a key ring. It also saves your nails. Guys won't care, but ladies sure do!

The longer the glue takes the dry the better off you might be.
Since this was my first time attempting this project I just doused that eye hook in glue. Figured I'd figure it out as I went along. I never really saw any instructions on this, just pictures and ideas. Winging it really isn't a strong suit of mine, I'm more of a planner. I plan for plans if you get my drift.


Just screw that little sucker right in there!
This is kind of self explanatory I'd think. You've got an eye hook, it's got to go into the cork, you have to screw it in. Just be careful with the glue. That Jewelry & Metal Glue is unforgiving to the skin. It's not as bad as Super Glue, but if you're not careful you'll have residue everywhere! 

Et Viola!
So at this stage in the project you can choose to go one of two routes. You can choose to put a second eye hook in the bottom for extra charms or trinkets to be attached OR you can leave it plain. It looks nice either way. I don't believe it will affect the "floating" part of the key ring unless you attach a ton of charms or trinkets to the bottom. Less is more in this case.

Memory wire is my friend!
If you choose to do the second eye hook on the bottom to attach charms or trinkets you'll need a jump ring. You can pick up jump rings at any craft store. In this instance I was fresh out of jump rings so I decided to make some out of the extra memory wire I had around the house. 

Jump rings are very easy.
You'll need needle nose pliers and pinking sheers or "snips" for this part. Just take your needle nose pliers and create a circle. I honestly went around three times to get a nice wide jump ring. If you purchase jump rings you'll only need one. The pliers are helpful opening up the jump rings if you decide to go the purchasing route. After I was done I just added the charm to the jump ring and attached it to the eye hook at the bottom of the cork. 

The three kinds I made.

I'm happy with the way this turned out.

The finished products!
This seriously was a very quick and easy project to complete. It goes even faster if you lay all your supplies out first. Give the glue time to dry, and you are golden. These are now all ready for the guys, wine lovers, or boat owners in your life! 




No comments:

Post a Comment