Sunday, May 17, 2015

Recipe: DIY Rose Water and Petticoat Tail Cookies

This morning I was laying in bed thinking about rose water. What?! Don't you? Okay, I'm admittedly strange, and this is probably one of the many reasons why. It's because these are the things I think about laying in bed on a Sunday morning these days. In my defense, I will share with you the reason why… I was introduced to rose water as a child because it is an ingredient in my mothers Petticoat Tail cookies. 

Petticoat Tails are seriously one of my ALL TIME favorite cookies EVER. So, it is normal to lay in bed on a Sunday morning thinking about cookies right?! I'm a woman thinking about cookies at 7:30am, before my coffee, it's the only way my brain functions at that hour on the weekend. I have a deadly sweet tooth, and now you can see why.

I'm going to assume that the next bit of the story I tell you is just the Universe telling me that I was not only SPOT ON in my train of thought, but indeed the Universe was conspiring with me in order to share this wonderfulness with the world!

Straight off the newstand!
I still hadn't really put the whole thought of, "Seriously, how hard could it be to make rose water," out of my head from this mornings loungefest. I had mulled over it for sometime actually, but duty calls, kids need to be shipped here, and there, and we needed to run to Sams for essentials. As we were wondering around I decided to stop by the book aisle, and spotted this gem from across the way.
I walked over, picked it up, and opened it! TO WHAT you may ask…to an article all about DIY Rose Water! I know right?!?! I was pretty floored myself. It looks like the Universe wants me to make cookies too… I'm good with that.

Roses from my mother in laws rose garden.

Recipe:
Rose petals
Distilled Water

Seriously people, that's it. A $9 bottle of rose water from the local Indian grocer, and here is the most simplistic recipe I've seen to date, and I can make it for $1. It's like that State Farm Commercial…"I gotcha a dollar!" PLUS, the best part is, I can make it at home, and I don't have to drive into the city to hunt down the Indian grocer off of Grand. Sweet!

Gathered them up, put them in a bag.
They are SO pretty!

Rinse them off to knock off any dirt, pollin, and little buggies.

Put them on the stove with enough water to cover up the petals.
They say put just enough water to cover the petals. Petals float people! So I guessed on the amount. So  with about 10-15 roses, I put in about a half a gallon.

Cover them and set the stove to simmer.
 Don't boil, just simmer.

This little droplets are pure rose water! Ek! So excited!
Simmer on the stove until the color drains off roses.

Should look something like this.
The photos in the magazine 'Willow and Sage' looked MUCH nicer than these, but they really didn't simmer them on the stove either. If you'd like to order the magazine you can grab it here:
Or you can go to your closest Sams, and pick it up there. It's the same price.

After you've strained out all the petals.
After you've strained out all the petals, depending on what color roses you used, it should have a tint to the water. I used a lot of hot pink, red, and light pink roses so my water  has a beautiful pale pink tint.

Cute little mason jars! <3
So since I didn't want to have huge jars of rose water sitting around I decided to put them in these cute little decorative ones. I can pass these out a lot easier to friends and family this way. If you are also interested in the Petticoat Tails Cookie recipe I've included it below.

As a child, I was told, that when England took over India the Queen never went to visit, but instead the Indian Ambassador came to her. On the visit the Ambassador brought over this cookie recipe for the Queen, and she supposedly loved it! The original topping for these cookies calls for finely chopped nuts, and sugar. In our house, we dip them in chocolate! Either way is good, but obviously with my  sweet tooth I go for the chocolate every single time!

Petticoat Tails Cookie Recipe:
1 cup butter
1  cup sugar
1 egg
2 3/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp rose water
1 tsp almond extract

Cream butter, and sugar in your mixer. Add the egg. Mix well. Stir together flour, and salt. Mix into creamed mixture. Add rose water, and almond extract, mix well. 

Set your oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough 1/8'' thick on a well floured surface or cloth covered board. You can use any kind of cookie cutter you'd like at this point. I kind of think of them as Indian sugar cookies. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 6-8 minutes.

Traditional toppings:
6 Tbsp finely chopped nuts
1/4 cup sugar

Sprinkle onto the cookie before putting them in the oven.

Bartnick version:
Heat up some Almond Bark in the microwave. After the cookies cool, dip half the cookie into the Almond Bark, set on a wire cookie rack, or parchment paper to dry.

Eat. Enjoy. Repeat.





No comments:

Post a Comment