Friday, May 1, 2015

Faith in Humanity is Restored: The STL Zoo Fieldtrip


The yearly school field trip to the zoo is something that I usually do not partake in. I don't care for the zoo much, it, like circuses and parades just aren't my thing. Sign me up for something else, and I'm usually good to go. This year, with me being unemployed at the moment has freed up my day to some extent, and I have no good excuse on why Mommy can't go to the zoo. So off to the zoo we went.


We got to see beautiful man made waterfalls. <3
We being Roo, Caire, myself, and one of Roo's classmates who I was responsible for wondered around for a bit at the beginning, and made our way to see the gorillas. I don't know about you all, but for me, animals have souls. The picture below was one of the last pictures I took before I lost my cell phone.

He's magnificent isn't he?? Look at those eyes!
While we were at the gorilla's taking pictures and taking in the wild life, the girls had walked up close to the glass to check out the rest of what they could see. In doing that I took my eyes away for a split second, there was a lady sitting on a bench not far from the glass, and we exchanged that all to well know smile between mothers. A smile that lasted a split second, a recognition between two people.  

At that point we walked away from the gorillas to find some praire dogs. It was then that I realized that I had lost my phone somewhere. Not a far stretch of park, but enough for me to think my cell phone was gone forever. I don't know about you all, and your cell phones, but admittedly mine isn't locked. God only knows what someone could do with my phone and all the information that's on my phone. I panicked a little bit, we retraced our steps, and ended back up at the gorillas looking for my missing phone. The mother from earlier, still sitting in the same spot, asked if I was okay? I told her I had lost my cell phone. She was gracious enough to ask if she could help, and called my phone for me. No good, it was GONE.POOF.SAYONARA! Damn. I thanked her profusely for helping me though, because it was greatly appreciated. 

I ended up spotting another school mom and Roo's Girl Scout Leader and borrowed her phone to call Mitch and tell him to shut my phone service off. He wasn't pleased, but he did it. God love him, he's fast! I thought for sure my phone was toast so the girls and I decided to go and see the new Sea Lion Cove they have! By the way, it's SO COOL! On our way back out the nice lady who helped me out earlier was standing at the top of the exit!!!

"All I remembered about you was that you were wearing a Cardinal hoodie! Do you know how many people are in Cards gear today?!?!?!?! I wanted to tell you that your phone is at the Lost & Found at the South Entrance of the park. Someone found it and turned it in. The guard just called me from your phone and I told him I'd give it my best shot to try and find you." 

Can I even begin to tell you how big of a hug I gave that woman! Her mom, and daughter were there too, and it was just an awesome moment! Seriously people, if you can't find good in the world, BE the good in the world! That one smile between us linked us for that awesome moment! I thanked her again, and her mom told me that had happened to her, and what a horrible feeling to know that all your "stuff" is out there in the world. Well, a lot of my stuff is already out in the world, but at least I know I put it there on purpose.

So after our wonderful hugfest the girls, and I set off to go find the Guard Station which is the Lost & Found. My phone was indeed there, and the only thing I could think to do was check my photos to see if anyone decided to add more. I could have had a 'Brother Orange' moment and missed the opportunity. If you don't know what a 'Brother Orange' moment is click here:


So after all that the girls and I decided to sit next to the waterfall and eat lunch.


These ducks are moochers, but we didn't feed them.
Then it was off to find elephants and hippos! 

Elephants and Elephant Butts for Aunt Jen!
And Hippos for Aunt Manda!
Seriously, it was a crazy day at the zoo, and I'm not kidding when I tell you there had to be at least 50K people there. It was insane the amount of people that were there, but I did notice something though, it was peaceful. People were peaceful, there were people there from ALL walks of life, and there was no fighting, no negativity, only love and compassion. The children behaved, and it was a very sane experience minus the whole phone debacle. It could have happened to anyone, and it happened to me. For those of you that know me well, that shouldn't, and probably doesn't surprise you in the least.

So please, go out and do nice things for others…you don't need a reason, just do it because.

No comments:

Post a Comment