Friday, March 20, 2015

Science Experiment - Crystalized Books

So a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine posted this link on my Facebook wall, and I was intrigued!

So in my science loving way I thought why the heck not try this too! The problem was that I couldn't bring myself to destroy a book, a true book, the ones that have actual words, characters, story lines, and a plots in them. I love books, I'm kind of an addict for books, and this went against all my book collecting (aka hoarding) attributes. I just couldn't do it. So I came up with a solution. A $1 solution! This nifty little "book" was a $1. It is a notebook, very small, 50 pages of blank space. There are no words to kill, no characters to annihilate, no story lines to destroy, and no plots to ruin. 

At this point it was go time!

My nifty $1 book. Bought it at JoAnn's Fabrics.
One Ball Jar 
You'll need Borax, boiling hot water,  and a measuring cup.
Add 3 Tbsp of Borax for every cup of water.
Stir till it is all disolved.

Add your book, and your Borax mixture to the jar.

This is where you have to be patient.

After about 4 hours worth of waiting you can
start to see little crystals forming on the outside.
The finished book.

One Ball Jar was killed in the crystalization of this book.

Yep, I had to break the Ball Jar in this experiment. I thought that was going to happen, but tried to see if it would come out, but it didn't. So I had to break the jar with a hammer. There are sacrifices in science, and the jar just happened to be one of them. 

I was always told you needed glass for this experiment, and I didn't have a glass container deep enough that would cover the whole book. Oh the things we do for science! I think it turned out okay. It was a fun experiment, and it's now small enough that I can put it on a shelf somewhere to become an awesome dust collector like the rest of my books. 

We'll be growing rocks in our next experiment. Stay tuned for more science experiments next week….


No comments:

Post a Comment