Sunday, March 29, 2015

Bringing Back Sunday Dinner: Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry

So almost every week I try to make Sunday dinner. There are always some exceptions like Super Bowl, and Easter, but you get the just. There are some nights when my Sunday dinner plans get moved to Saturday because what I wanted to make on Saturday needs 24 hours for the flavors to meld together. So this gave me the chance to make two dinners in one night so that I actually didn't have to cook tonight. I don't care who you are that's a total winning deal right there! 

It wasn't a bad thing really, but this wasn't my favorite dish that I've made. It wasn't bad, but I'm totally spoiled by the AMAZING Mr. Curry Indian Food that I used to eat when I worked downtown St. Louis. If you EVER get a chance to eat there I highly suggest it! Lunch for under $10 plus it's seriously addicting. Part of me thinks that they slip some crack in there to get people to keep coming back. It's seriously THAT good! They also have a restaurant in Edwardsville, IL too for the people on the IL side of the river. All I can say is that I could eat there once a week and be one happy camper!

I found the recipe here if you'd like printable instructions:


Ingredients: 
2 lbs , 3 1/3 oz boneless skinless chicken breast cut into large cubes
1 whole onion, peeled and halved
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 whole small green bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1 can (156ml) tomato paste
1 can (about 400ml) coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp Garam Masala (Indian Spice Mix)
2 whole dry red chili peppers (optional for extra heat)
2 Tbsp water
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch 
1 bunch of coriander

Go ahead and start putting all your ingredients into your food processor.
(except chili peppers, water, cornstarch, and coriander)
It's going to be a tight fit!  
Process together until it's "smoothish". Yes,
it says "smoothish." O.o
Okay so I couldn't find Garam Masala so I winged it
with this stuff….
Cut up and add your chicken to your crock pot.
Smother your chicken with your mixture.

Set it to low for about 6 hours.
An hour before serving, mix together water and cornstarch
until the cornstarch is completely disolved.
Add it to the chicken curry and mix well.
Place the lid back on for the rest of the cooking time.

 Serve on top of steamed white rice (we made double the batch of rice), decorate with lots of chopped coriander and enjoy. 

So that's the recipe; I'm always trying to get my kids to eat new things, especially ethnic food that I enjoy so much. This recipe wasn't bad, I think I'm going to try it again after I run to the Indian Grocery off of Grand Ave in the city to see if they have any Garam Masala so I can make this the right way. I also added some butter to it, not a lot, just about 2 Tbsp's worth. The Indian Masala that I get at Mr. Curry's always taste so buttery! Figured what the hell…it couldn't hurt it. Honestly, all in all it was pretty healthy, Mitch liked it, but said it lacked something that he couldn't put his finger on. Maybe it was the lack of Garam Masala…Roo hated it, Soph didn't mind it, and Claire…well that girl will eat anything! She's like Mikey! She likes it! She likes it! I also heard that my dad is making this tonight too up in the UP! So I'll get his feedback as well…wonder if he had trouble finding that Garam Masala too.

Tonight we actually had a recipe that my Mother-in-law makes that I just love, and that turned out super awesome! Chicken and Wild Rice, I will definitely have to make again, and post it for you all to see. It's wicked easy to make, and super awesome for the taste buds, the only drawback is that for it to turn out to be as awesome as when she makes it you have to let it sit for 24 hours to let all the flavors meld together. It's worth it I tell you…every minute of it!

Plus this whole "cooking" thing I've got going on now is spreading to the neighbors. I like to share my leftovers with Lisa, my totally awesome neighbor. It helps to get more feedback then just Mitch and the kids. Plus when I bake that too seems to make its way across the street as well. It feels good to cook and bake for others. It's a really good feeling. 

Till next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment