Saturday, January 3, 2015

Wooden Tags!!!

So I am the queen of trying to keep busy. Don't get me wrong, I love to rest with the rest of you, but some of the time it's forced...by Mitch. The start of the new year is upon us, and I've already started to work on a plethora of new projects. This project is a testing phase for the next project. Consider this one 1.0, and 2.0 will follow closely behind it. Just remember kids, if I'm not thinking about something to make, create, or bake I'm probably dead somewhere in a ditch.


So I got some "me" time over my 12 day staycation, and ended up going to Home Goods. I freakin' LOVE that place. I was going down the many aisles in parental bliss of being BY MYSELF, and happened to stumble upon these little wooden tags. 8 for $6. My mind started whirling and twirling in creative delight as to what to do with these little tags. My mind thought, "BLANK TAGS.....and GO!" A million little ideas later, and my mind landed on stencils. 


So I have bought stencils, and have made many a stencil from scratch in my years. But I wanted something fun and fresh. I've never bought anything Martha Stewart before so I figured I'd give these a try. Bought these at Michaels with a coupon for 20% my whole entire purchase. SCORE!


I found some that were right up my alley! Something that I'll use over and over again.


I'm really digging on all of these different designs. There are plenty to keep this mama busy for AGES!


Okay back to the tags... So I really should have probably named this blog 'So I found this on Pinterest' instead of 'Our Unfiltered Life.' Even Mitch said, "So is this a Pinterest thing?" I couldn't lie... I know I'm creative, just not THAT creative! I've got three kids, and don't have time to sit around and dream fun stuff up to do! I've got to steal the ideas from someplace else and make it my own!


So I decided to break out the stencils and a little white acrylic paint and go to town. Some of these you can see and some of them it's difficult. Scroll down a few pictures and you'll start to see the awesomeness unfolding.


Once the acrylic paint dried, which was less than five minutes, it was time to go downstairs into the laundry room, to our makeshift indoor staining/poly room, and get started.


So I'll admit I've never stained anything in my LIFE! Yes, gasp if you will. It's true I was a virgin stainer until yesterday. NowI think I've got some of the techniques down pat. Step 1: Grab an old sock. Step 2. Dip it in the stain, squeeze out the excess 3. Apply to wood and go WITH the grain. Pretty simple right....



Mitch told me that with my "delicate" hands (It's the only thing delicate about my I'm sure) I needed to wear gloves. I'm thinking he just didn't want me to smell like lacquer thinner later on. Either way I'm good with gloves. Remember go WITH the grain!


So here's where it gets good. The paint protects the wood, and blocks the stain creating this awesome look. Pretty cool, eh?! I thought so!!! The stain was put on lightly so it only took an hour or so to dry. I used a Dark Walnut, but you could use any colored stain that you prefer. The darker the stain the more your stencils will show up. 


They looked a little flat to me so I decided to add a little something to them. Metallic markers will do the trick. I had a gold one laying around for CD's and DVD's. You can use whatever metallic markers you have laying around. Experiment with any kind of markers for that matter. If you have a preferred color that would probably be fun too!


So here they are all done. If you want to protect them you can dip them in Polyurethane, hang them to dry, and set aside.  When you are ready to attach them to special gifts throughout the year, you can just grab a marker (probably black would work the best) and write your message on the back. It's a great little keepsake and could probably double as a bookmark.

Here is the link where the original idea came from:


Amazing ideas people! 2015 is my year for creation! LOTS and LOTS of creation!

Just wait till you see what my next project is going to be. Hint: my jewelry is getting a new home!

2 comments: