Sunday, January 11, 2015

Bringing Back Sunday Dinner - Loaded Potato Soup


So it is Sunday again...happens ever 7 days, and its time for Loaded Potato Soup!
I got this recipe out of a Cooking Light magazine that came from my mother-in-law Judy.
Figured why not, since this momma could stand to lose a lb or two!

Loaded Potato Soup:
4 (6oz) red potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. olive oil
1 1/4 cups nonfat, reduced sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups 1% low fat milk
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 bacon slices, halved
1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
4 tsp. thinly sliced green onions


Right then, so the directions say to do all of this preparing in the microwave. They say it takes about 20 minutes. 0.o Since I'm not a whiz in the kitchen, still learning how to cook, and I'm doing this on Sunday it's not like I'm super pressed for time; I'll take their word for it. I'm going to do it old school, but I'll post the directions how they wrote it anyway. You can choose which ever one you like.


I'm an old school bacon girl! I make it in the oven like Paula Dean! Set the oven to 425 degrees for about 12-15 minutes, and you've got lovely bacon. Who honestly only cooks up 3 strips of bacon at a time, eh? Not this girl, that's for darn sure. 


So I got the bacon rolling, and peeled and cut up my potatoes and threw them in the pot to boil.
Boil until they are tender. Test with a fork.


Cut up your onions, and set to the side.


Thank GOD I scrub my kitchen from top to bottom every Sunday morning.
The floor is clean people, I promise. This is her idea of helping mommy in the kitchen.


So I'm sauteing my onions in olive oil.


Pour in my chicken broth, add my flour to a 1/2 cup of milk. Stir that in.


Add the rest of the milk to the mixture and bring to a boil for one minute. Remove it from the heat and add your sour cream, salt and pepper.


By this time your potatoes should be done. Drain off the water and mash them up. Add your liquid to the potatoes. Go ahead and stir that in nicely and get it all worked thru. By now the bacon is done and cooled too.


Add bacon and your cheese!


So I decided since this soup is supposed to be on the lighter side that tonight we were going to have soup and salad. Mitch got this lovely head of lettuce! It really was quite impressive!


Go ahead and chop up your green onions for your garnish.

So that's my version of the soup directions, here's the directions that were giving in the magazine.

1. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave at HIGH 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
2.Saute onion in hot oil in a medium saucepan  over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; stir into broth. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups of milk. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt and pepper.
3. Place bacon in a single layer on a paper towel-lined microwave safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave at HIGH 4 minutes. Crumple bacon.
4. Peel potatoes; discard potato skins. Coarsely mash potatoes into soup. Top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.

Either directions work. Mitch liked it, but we really agreed that it was missing something (maybe fat, lots and lots of fat), and we couldn't quite put our finger on what exactly it was. Maybe we'll try adding garlic next time. Little Miss C went to town as usual, Soph didn't like it at all, and Roo....well she ate it, said she liked it, and said that she'd eat it again. 

So there you have it. A 20 minute soup if you go the microwavable way for something warm on these cold winter nights. Maybe this recipe will make it to your tables too. Let us know what you think! Maybe you can help us add to this soup with your ideas as well.


Happy Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment