Monday, January 19, 2015

Recipe: Awesome Blueberry Muffins

Mitch and I were at Sams yesterday, and I saw that they had blueberries at a wicked good price so I decided to pick some up even thought they weren't on our list. Yes, I am THAT wife. I'm a bad wife that does not stick to the list. To tell on myself further I also picked up a bottle of wine that also wasn't on the list. In my defense, I needed it. This mama needs her liquid uppers and downers; coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. I've got three crazy children, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So I came across this recipe eons ago, and have made it ever since. Mitch loves blueberries, or any other kind of berry for that matter. I don't think he's ever met a piece of fruit he doesn't like or won't eat.

I got the original recipe from Recipezaar, which is no longer around, but did some hunting and found the original recipe here:


They look so YUMMY!
The link has a printable option for those who don't want to copy and paste.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries

Topping:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Grease muffin pan or use muffin liners
Combine the 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder and set that aside

Flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
Next place vegetable oil, into a 1 cup measuring cup, add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup.

Instead of milk I used the rest of our eggnog.
These are not healthy blueberry muffins I can assure you!
Go ahead and mix in the flour mixture and set aside for the moment.

I don't like using a fork, I'm all about my pastry cutter.
In a separate bowl add together the ingredients for the crumb topping. Mix together the 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. 

Cut up ingredients till they have this sand looking consistency.

At this time you can go ahead and gently fold in the blueberries. If you try and put them in the mixer the blueberries will all die a hideous death, and no one likes ugly muffins.

Gently fold in the blueberries.
They are still intact. Good job!

Still intact blueberries.
Once you are ready go ahead and fill your muffin cups about 3/4 of the way to the top. This batter is thick so don't be surprised if it's hard to get it in the liners. It's not like cake batter that has more of a liquid consistency. Go ahead and sprinkle your topping on and you are ready now for the oven.

Now they are ready for the oven.
400 degrees and bake between 20 - 25 minutes. Always remember the higher the sugar content the less time it will take to bake and the quicker they will burn. So the first time you bake these you might want to check them at about the 17 minute mark +/-. Better safe then sorry with burnt muffins.

Let 'em cool!
Some small nutritional facts that you should probably know. Just because this is a blueberry muffin does not mean it is healthy for you by any stretch of the imagination! Plus the fact that I doubled the recipe and put almost a cup of eggnog in these doubles the chances that these will go straight to your hips. The facts say that it's 383 calories per muffin. Lets round mine up to about 500 calories a serving.
Go big or go home. I can always exercise later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment