Sunday, February 22, 2015

Bringing Back Sunday Dinner - Breakfast is what's for dinner

I have to laugh because my sister and mom are having THE EXACT same thing for dinner! We girls are linked so closely sometimes it doesn't matter how many miles we are apart. 

Growing up Bisquick was not an eight letter word in our house, but more like a four letter word! We didn't use it, it wasn't in our house, and we never bought the stuff. If it's a staple in your house then I issue you a challenge, try this recipe and see which one you like better. My bestie Jen SWEARS by my pancakes, she drives thru the crappiest of weather for breakfast just because they are that good!

I've had my share of good pancakes in the past, and Cracker Barrels pancakes rank up on my list pretty high for sure. I also heard there's a place in Springfield, IL that has 16'' pancakes! Good Lord I don't think I'd be able to finish something that big, but for the rest of us normal folks that like breakfast for dinner I give you our family pancake recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do…


Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 Cups of Buttermilk
1/4 Cup of oil
1 3/4 Cups Flour
2 Tbsp Sugar/Honey
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp of salt

I almost always double the batch because whatever is left we use for lunches to make PB&J Roll ups. So this time I'll show you this recipe doubled and tell you all the stuff that you can add to this recipe to truly make it your own.

Eggs and Oil - Check

Mix those together,  add your buttermilk and sugar

You'll need all your dry ingredients together, add slowly and carefully
to your wet ingredients.

Mix it all together, but don't over mix.
It's really a simple recipe, granted it isn't as easy as just adding water to a box mix, but I promise you that you won't be disappointed. Okay so this is where I get creative. I ALWAYS put Cinnamon in my pancakes, in a pinch if you don't have enough Buttermilk you can sub out Eggnog, if you sub out Eggnog omit the sugar from the recipe. You can also add, Nutmeg, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Ginger….just to name a few. This recipe is a base to add pretty much your favorite sweet spices too.  

Tonight I had just enough Buttermilk for half the recipe, and just enough Eggnog left for the other 2 cups, so I omitted the sugar, added cinnamon and it was SO good! Then Soph wanted strawberries, so we added strawberries too. I have yet to add chocolate chips to this recipe, but I'm quite sure you could for those special occasions, or any occasion for that matter.

Strawberries!

I don't think we'll be doing this again…it didn't work out so well.

My little helper!
As you can see I did not go All State in Pancake Flipping! 0.o I'm good at a lot of things, but pouring perfect pancakes is NOT one of those things, and flipping good looking pancakes takes decades of practice, and I honestly haven't been making them that long. Regardless of how they look they came out awesome! We also ran really low on syrup so I pureed about 6 strawberries in a blender with the rest of the syrup we had and made Strawberry Syrup! It was what it was…nothing fancy, but in our house it doesn't have to be. Everyone loved it, and that's all that matters. We've got plenty of left overs for PB&J roll ups for lunch this week. This makes my heart happy! 


Happy Eating!!!



1 comment:

  1. Putting the strawberries in the pankcakes - it works better if they are more finely chopped. Just a heads up for next time. Think nothing larger than a blueberry.

    ReplyDelete