Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sunday Soup Recipe: Creamy Curried Vegetable Soup


Anyone who knows me knows that I can bake...and I'm even kinda good at baking. Any novice knows that baking and cooking are NOT the same thing. While you can be good at one, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are good at the other. I can hold my own in the kitchen when I'm asked to cook which, luckily for me, isn't very often. My husband likes to cook and maybe he even cooks out of necessity. In our house it's either cook or watch the kids. Clean up the dishes or give the kids a bath. Usually I'm watching the kids while he cooks and then they go into the tub for a dip while he cleans up.   I think that's a pretty fair shake don't you? Well, I have decided that now is a good a time as any to really start honing my cooking skills. I'm going to attempt to cook at least one night a week. I see my mother smiling from here. The only way to learn the art of cooking is by doing right? Right. So here it goes.

So sometime last year if memory serves I stumbled upon a soup recipe that looked pretty tasty, so I decided to give it a go; problem was that when I looked in our fridge we didn't have ALL the ingredients listed in the recipe. Crap! So in total "Keva Fashion" I improvised and sure enough it turned out pretty freakin' tasty! Even Mitch asked for seconds when I brought my somewhat off the cuff soup to the table. My littles ate it and loved it too! Granted, they eat whatever we put in front of them. Our kitchen is not a short order kitchen. If you don't like what we serve, you don't eat. This does not include when guests come over, but when it's just us...that's how it goes in our house. On this occasion that didn't even come into play! So yesterday I decided to give the soup recipe another go and put it out here for all you fine readers.  So here it goes: My Creamy Curried Vegetable Soup

All the ingredients you'll need


Ingredients
1 bell pepper (yellow, orange or red)
2 Tbsp of olive oil
1 small onion- yellow
3 medium garlic cloves
Salt and pepper for taste
Fresh Thyme
A big dash of Paprika (1 tbsp +)
4 cups of chicken/vegetable stock
1 medium to large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
Half to ¾ head of Cauliflower, core removed and chopped
1 apple cored and chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
Curry powder to taste (1 tbsp +)


Preheat broiler on high. Cut one bell pepper in half and place it on a foil sheet

Broil until it blisters and blackens, in my oven this takes about 6 minutes

Next, put your olive oil in a sauce pan and put in the onion, garlic, and carrots

This is what it should look like when you are ready to add the salt, pepper, thyme and paprika

Next you pour in the 4 cups of chicken stock, you can also substitute vegetable stock if you'd like

Add in your sweet potato and your cauliflower, bring to a rolling boil, and then let it simmer

After your vegetables are tender add in your apple and your bell pepper

Time to break out the blender that's stashed away in the pantry

This is what it should look like once you've blended it to death, don't forget to add in the Curry

Et Viola! Creamy Curried Vegetable Soup
I haven't figured out how to put this into an easy printable version so please just cut and paste the recipe below into a Word Document and you should be able to print this off if you'd like.


Creamy Curried Vegetable Soup

Ingredients
1 bell pepper (yellow, orange or red)
2 Tbsp of olive oil
1 small onion- yellow
3 medium garlic cloves
Salt and pepper for taste
Fresh Thyme
A big dash of Paprika (1 tbsp +)
4 cups of chicken/vegetable stock 
1 medium to large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
Half to ¾ head of Cauliflower, core removed and chopped
1 apple cored and chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
Curry powder to taste (1 tbsp +)

Preheat broiler to high. Cut pepper in half and place on a foil lined cookie sheet. Place the peppers on the shelf about 4 inches below the heating element and broil until blistered and blackened. Remove, set aside to rest until cool to the touch.  Once cooled, use a knife to peel off blackened skin under running water. Coarsely chop the peppers and set aside.

In a heavy saucepan, heat the 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat until shimmering, add onion, garlic and carrots and cook until onion is transparent and carrots are tender, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper, thyme, and paprika. Add chicken stock and bring to a rolling boil, add sweet potato and cauliflower, then bring back to a rolling boil.  Next lower to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender. Add Apples and bell peppers. Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until very smooth. Return to pot and add Curry Powder to taste. Keep warm on low heat until ready to serve.

 Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment