Thursday, July 23, 2015

Stoughton, WI and The Stoughton House Inn Bed & Breakfast


After we left The Dells we made our way south to Stoughton by way of Madison.  We decided that we were going to cheese hunt while in Wisconsin, who wouldn't, there's wonderful cheeses to be found around every corner it seemed. Mitch had done some research about a Wisconsin Cheese Trail, on the list was Formagination…the tour said that it was definitely a wonderful stop not to miss!


This wonderful shop did NOT disappoint!


This place was not only a feast for the pallet, but also for the eyes. 
Good Lord this place was just full of beautiful goodness.


We decided that we would sit outside on that chilly day, and take in the sights of downtown Madison. 


I seriously thought this was the best marketing tool for those little bits of cheese that might be left over.
We were also sucked in to adopt a cheese orphan! Actually I think we took home two.


I took this photo for Molly! These cookies seriously looked amazing. I'm used to seeing Molly's wonderful work with sugar cookies, and these gave hers a serious run for their money!
If you'd like to see more about Molly's talents, please check out her blog:


After we left Madison, we had a reservation at a great B&B called The Stoughton House Inn. The house was built in 1856, and offers every comfort to any traveler. This place was AMAZING! You know how old houses have a "feel" to them. Some houses have a super creepy feel, some just feel old and broken down, this beautiful old house felt AMAZING! It was a peaceful house, where if the walls could talk, they would tell such a great tale of all of the wonderfulness that happened under that roof. If you are ever in the Stoughton area this is the place to stay. I've included the link below.





 We were lucky enough to be the only guests there that night, so we had the whole house, and it's grounds to ourselves to run amuck as we do. After going in town, which is just as lovely as the house by the way, we took a walk around the yard which is just beautiful in the summer with all the flowers in full bloom!  The bees buzzing, and you know how I like my bees, it was just a perfect setting!

 We went downtown Stoughton for a walk, to check out the town, and get a bite to eat. We had the best time at some of the shops about town. Some of my favorites were AmundArt Hus you can find it on Facebook here: amundart & the Nordic Nook which you can find here: nordic-nook
Also as we walked down the street, I was looking everywhere trying to soak it ALL in, and in between two buildings were a set of stairs, and a tiny sign that said Bead Shop. I looked at Mitch, told him to go get a beer at the bar we had just past, because I was going upstairs to investigate! This little detour off the beaten path DID NOT DISAPPOINT! I walked up the stairs, turned to my right into a huge room full of awesomeness! It was beautiful! It was filled to the brim with beads, gemstones, and metal bits of goodness. I walked into diakonosdesigns and was in heaven. Mitch had to come pull me out of the fray after who knows how long. He was hungry, had finished his beer, and wanted to eat. I could have stayed there for HOURS, and still not seen everything they had to offer. It was a treasure trove, and just one staircase to heaven. I've never been disappointed in bead shops I've found at the top of a stair case.

Next it was dinner time, and we had been told to go to Wendigo.


Now in all honesty, we had arrived after the 4th of July weekend, where I'm quite sure they were slammed more than normal. Both Mitch and I worked in restaurants so we get it, you run out of things. It got comical actually after every drink we ordered they had run out of…including ice tea. BUT, because they were out of my favorite wine on the list (14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon) I had to go with something different besides water. I decided on the Rhuby Can't Fail. I have to admit, it definitely lived up to its name! So much so that I came home, and decided to make my own Rhubarb Gin so that I can have this fantastically refreshing summer drink again! The Basil in the drink really made it perfect!


This is the picture of this beautiful concoction! 


 I love this man and the sign behind him:
Love Wisconsin
Eat Cheese
the rest I can't read….


We went back to the Stoughton House Inn after dinner, and decided to do something we haven't ever done before…we found a deck of card, and decided to play Rummy. I haven't played Rummy in over 25 years or better. We had to look up the rules again. 


We loved this card deck! It was great! We would play, and read these cards aloud to each other. We learned a lot about wine history, which was great because the next day we went to a winery, which I'll share that all with you in the next post.


This is Mitch trying to explain something to me…I don't remember what it was, but it probably didn't matter because I won by a lot. If memory serves I won four hands, lost one and we tied one.

This face… ahahahahahahahaha!
Our room was beautiful, we stayed in the Trulson Room. It's the middle size room out of the three rooms available. It's the happy medium size. If you want to really stay in high style go for the bedroom facing the front of the house! OMG! It's GORGEOUS!


This is a small panoramic of the backyard. 


Breakfast the next morning was fantastic, the proprietors were super sweet!
Again, seriously, this is the place to stay if you are driving thru Stoughton, and need a place to stay.


More trip posts to come…Next post will be about Trillium Farm in the heart of Amish Country Wisconsin.

Happy Traveling! <3




No comments:

Post a Comment